twin local programs

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
moogwill
twin local programs

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd,

At the moment, we're broadcasting over 2 regions, with 2 instances master & slave, with the same program except some news and ads. it's very stable and perfectly executed for a few months and we now have tu go further in the multi region broadcasting.

what i'd like to achieve is, on the slave computer, use a previously generated RVT from the master computer, to be able to change some of the VTs on a new RVT session with the slave computer.

Using this method, the same person first do the main zone program, then RVT to the slave computer and just change a few local announcement previously recorded for the main region.

the goal is to have a twin local program on each zone, playing same music, but sometimes different announcement and ids at specific times of the day.

I assume it will be easy to create a script using date and time to open the right file on the slave computer using date and time (assuming the file was of course, previously generated on the master computer). using the slave region scheduler.

Will the new RVT session will be saved on a different location?

if adding different liners & jingles libraries on a local folder for each computer with same nammed files to have different local ids in each program, could this be right?

thanks,
thomas.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: twin local programs

Post by radio42 »

I don’t know how you have currently connected the two PC to sync the two PCs/stations. The recommended way was to directly connect them. As such the overlay scheduler (news, adds, etc.) run independent.
Ie. the program scheduler isn’t really used on the slave machine, but the main audio signal is feed to the slave PC via a direct audio input.

But of course, the slave PC also has its own Program Scheduler, which can be used on top.
But Remote Voive Tracking doesn’t support multi region recordings or setup.
If you want to generate multiple shows/playlists I would record one and then export this to the other folder resp PC and then replace the already recorded voice over tracks.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

thanks,
the two pcs are connected right as you described.

if region 2 scheduler opens the previousely RVT session made from the main region computer RVT folder, change it and save it from the slave region computer will it be saved to a new flie on the local computer or overwrite the original file ?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

It depends where you store the original audio files as well as the new files. If you for example store the new voice over recordings locally on the 2nd PC and they wouldn’t overwrite the original recordings, all would be fine.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

seems to be exactely what i need.
thanks;

By the way this feature (local programs) would be a great value added to PFOA...
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

But how should that be implemented/supported other than exactly what you are doing now?
I.e. you (R)VT a local program program on station 1. You could then export that to a dedicated folder for station 2 and also schedule it locally there on station 2, where you do another (R)VT on this one etc.
I don't really see, how that can be supported automatically via a new feature, as you can not configure all paths and local or network storage of all involved stations.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

maybe with some parallel VT From the main computer. I'm allready trying this with a little trick in live

For this I'm sending an audio copy of my vt input to the local zone mixer input, so when in live from the main region im now able to make an anouncement only on the slave region.

by using something like a parallel vt from the main region, that would be more easy then both program would be in perfect sync by coming from the main computer.
you can do that from RCS Software and also from ZENON, it's a very cool feature....
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Playout in parallel from just one PC has its limits. It might maybe work for 2 or max 3 regions, but this doesn’t scale.
moogwill

Post by moogwill »

Hi Bernd, & Happy new year,

Finally I found a way to achieve my local program.

the show is first generated and recorded as a RVT on the master computer(A).
I made an automated sync from (A) RVT folder to the slave computer(B) (one way sync)
then I created an empty entry in the slave computer scheduler at the same time.
After first RVT the show on (A) I can now RVT the same show on (B) but changing only the "local related" annoucements.

now my question, how can I start both at the exact same time ? or more clearly, how to start the slave playlist in sync with the master ?
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

By default, there is no way to exactly synchronize a slave playlist with the master.

But there are two options you might try:
a) use the slave's program schedule to start the program/playlist like any other program (e.g. with a Fixed time).
As each PC should use the internet time, which is the same on each PC. And as such, each program should start at the same time.

b) you might manually start a script on a slave PC by using the control-command PROGRAM_STARTSCRIPT resp. PROGRAM_STOPSCRIPT.
This way you could manually trigger the start and stop from the master PC by sending those commands remotely to the slave PC.