Saved Filters for Expressions

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Thijmen
Saved Filters for Expressions

Post by Thijmen »

Hi,

What I think would be a good addition to the software would be is the following.

Imagine having a complex library, and sometimes you want to have a Random entry in a script with the same kind of rules as the one above (or whatever). The expression has 5 condition and maybe an OR statement.

It can become quite cumbersome to copy/paste the condition text from the Filter in the Script Library Editor from one line to the other. Say you want to save this Expression as an "Expression Preset" that you can apply, as a filter.

Overruling would be possible, say the Expression Preset has the following preset:

Code: Select all

Rating Value: > 50
Filename Contains: "Jingles"
Filename Contains: "Part 1"
Say you apply this Expression Preset to a Script Library line, and add the following additional filter:

Artist Contains: "An Artist"
Then the following expression would be applied:

Filename Contains: "Jingles"
Filename Contains: "Part 1"
Artist Contains: "An Artist"
However, if you add another Expression that already exists, it would "erase" those conditions. Say you add the following:

Filename Contains:  "Test"
Then, the following expression would be applied:

Filename Contains: "Test"
Is this something that is worth investing time in, or would you disagree with this?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Saved Filters for Expressions

Post by radio42 »

Unfortunately I am not sure, if I can add those functionality. The reason is, is that the Filter Expression Builder itself is using a control provided by the UI library vendor I am using and this one cannot be extended by those functionality.

However, what I am doing and proposing is using Base Scripts. Eg. you create a kind of template having those filter. And then you can just modify or copy those line and thus keep the Filters or modify them from there.
Resp. in the Script Editor you can directly in the Filter column open the combobox and copy that text from the combobox.
Thijmen

Post by Thijmen »

Hi Bernd,

Not sure how the UI library has to be changed.. I think that if you make "Expression Preset" selectable as an option (just like Filename, Rating Value etc), you have the solution that is very powerfull.

I worked with Base Scripts but they are not powerfull enough as I would like, because presets change every now and then and I dont want to change existing scripts every time when an expression changes.
Attachments
2022-05-03_21h18_59.png
Thijmen

Post by Thijmen »

The dialog can even have a "Save as Saved Expression" button, next to "OK" and "Cancel"
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

A base script only copies the default values.
As said, why don’t you use and edit directly the text in the Filter column of the Script Editor when you open the combobox in that cell.

In the end it is always a matter of effort and usage.