adding two items together in the fixed time elements of a script

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
fjb59
Re: adding two items together in the fixed time elements of a script

Post by fjb59 »

radio42 wrote: 11 Aug 2022 21:30 A presenter is to me a DJ - sorry.
And yes 5 parts exactly as described above.
So I then assume, you ‚only‘ need the placeholder to be considered in the back timeline (also as described above).
they are very differnet but the core difference is that presenting is a science where as djing is an art
the first part would be around 15 minutes then comes the 90 seconds
the second to fouth parts would be 28 and a half minutes minutes approx and the last would be 13 and a half minutes. the jingle and 90 second placeholder would be betwwn each part. however it would be even better if the container that held the jingle and placeholder would alter the placeholder length so the container is exactly 90 seconds.
but that would be feature request :)
radio42
Site Admin
Re: adding two items together in the fixed time elements of a script

Post by radio42 »

After returning from holiday and understanding your workflow/use case, I took another look to your requirement.
So using (script based) Overlays and resolving them to the playlist is not an option.
But using FTEs like followed might work:

1) When defining a FTE (Fix Time Element) you can specify the "One-Loop" option, to ensure, that the entire script (all lines) is executed once.
In order to do so, you can click on the small 'D' in the script selection dialog:
FTE Execute OneLoop1.png
Note, that in this case the 'Count' parameter of the FTE is ignored (and doesn't need to be set to 2, but can even be set to 1)
FTE Execute OneLoop2.png

2) In addition make sure, that for the FTE, the option 'AsEmbeddedContainer' is NOT selected, but the 'ResetScriptPointer' is selected.
This ensures, that the individual items are resolved (and no a container is created) and that the script starts from the beginning with each execution.
Also check the 'As TimeUpdateSync' checkbox (which ensures, when using a Fixed Start Type, that the back timing is reset exactly at this time).
FTE Execute OneLoop3.png

3) You can see the resulting playlist template here:
FTE Execute OneLoop4.png
FTE Execute OneLoop5.png
As you can see, the scheduled time and back timing is now fully correctly updated and calculated, even for the 90sec. placeholder!
When you would now 'auto play' this entire playlist at the scheduled time, this playlist would play exactly as configured.
Note, that the FTE would cut-off (end the previous track ahead of schedule.
For example:
The 3rd track is scheduled at 14:11:27 in the above example and has a length of 6:58 and is such too long, as the FTE would start at 14:15:00!
So it would be faded-out early and not played til its end.

But...
when you would now downmix this individual part, the downmix would of course not cut-off and end the last track early, but downmix it entirely. I.e. the 3rd track would be downmixed with its full length of 6:58.
I guess you would expect, that the downmix honors any FTEs and real-time playback back time events? But this is NOT the case, as the downmix is a helper function. I.e. ProppFrexx is a playback and broadcast automation system for live-assist, manual or full automatic operations. But ProppFrexx is not a DAW, which is able to downmix a playlist as if it would be played out live. Is this what you expect? If yes, what elements would you actually downmix?, as the :15:00 Jingle would also be needed?! But the adds are added later? I.e. a post production step is regarless needed?!
Or in other words, you would need to cut-off the last track of your parts manually in such a post production step to shrink the total length of that part.