Audio crashes - Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP)

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
Quentin D
Audio crashes - Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP)

Post by Quentin D »

Hello all,

I was running ProppFrexx on Windows 8.1 for years and I decided to migrate to Windows 10 because Windows 8.1 support will stop in January 2023.

Because ProppFrexx is installed on my server, I use Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP) to control the PC. The problem is since I migrated to Windows 10, every time I CLOSE the RDP, audio crashes. The RDP settings are set correctly ("Play sound on remote computer"). I can reproduce that "bug" on multiple machines with different hardware so it is not related to my setup.The "best" workaround I found it so set the audio device to WDM, which make an audio interruption of 1-2 sec, which is still not good.
On Windows 8.1 it was running fine with any device settings (WDM/WASAPI).
Note : this bug is not directly related to ProppFrexx. I tested with other apps like AIMP or Winamp, and the behaviour is the more or less the same. This is the reason why I did not post this into the Bug Reports section.

So, I would like to know if someone here is experiencing the same issue in Windows 10, and if you know how to solve it.

Thank you,

Quentin
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Audio crashes - Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP)

Post by radio42 »

I am afraid, that this is a known bug in RDP of Microsoft. I have heard, that it is solved with Windows 11, but I have not tested it myself.
Microsoft also reports, that it doesn’t happen in all situations and typically reply in the standard manner to update all drivers and devices…

As such, there is nothing I can do to prevent this. And opening tickets towards Microsoft is already done by various people, but doesn’t help you as well…
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

Hi Bernd,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't tested in Windows 11 because my hardware is not compatible.
As I can't find any information on the internet, I opened a thread in the Microsoft forum.
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

Thank you for investigating. These people seems to have the same problem but unfortunately there is still no solution :(
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, here you actually need to blame Microsoft…
Quentin D

Post by Quentin D »

Luckily, it doesn't affect the streaming audio
K-Rock Europe

Post by K-Rock Europe »

radio42 wrote: 20 Nov 2022 14:58 I am afraid, that this is a known bug in RDP of Microsoft. I have heard, that it is solved with Windows 11, but I have not tested it myself.
Working with Windows 11 over here..
and it still happening in Win11

When I connect with RD the audio stop playing.. Need te restart the server en start PF.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Guess this might even be a different issue?!
You need to disable to take over / use any audio devices when activating the RDP session, as by default RDP mirrors your local audio devices of those with the server.
Deactivate all, to leave the audio devices as if the server unchanged.
But I am not an RDP expert, you need to ask your system administrator for details.