Settings not saving with updates

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
edlondon
Settings not saving with updates

Post by edlondon »

Hi Bernd, I have been meaning to bring this up about some issues I am having with my Professional version. Every time I do a ProppFrexx update my input/output configuration settings get messed up and sometimes routing loses settings too? This happens with every ProppFrexx update and sometimes with windows update tool. This is very frustrating to have to go and "reset" all my soundcards in the right places. I am using the D&R webstation console. I have tried the backup feature which does not work in the area I have described. I have "saved" the configuration settings in both input/output and routing. What have I overlooked?
Thanks
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Settings not saving with updates

Post by radio42 »

With any Windows Update, the internal used driver ID might change. This is unfortunately a known issue of D&R and due to the fact, that they do not provide any own and decent audio driver. So you need to report this to D&R directly!

However, I can not reproduce this issue with a restart or update of ProppFrexx. Here is saves and restores as expected. Can you clearly reproduce the issue also with a normal restart of ProppFrexx? If yes, please let me know.
Else, I am afraid you need to report this issue to D&R - as I can not do much here, as ProppFrexx remembers the internal driver ID to restore the driver state. If that however irrationally changes each time, there is nothing I can do to remember the driver last used.
edlondon

Post by edlondon »

Like I stated, this only occurs during an PF update. So I guess the only solution is to NOT update the software if I don't feel like redoing all the sound settings. Funny thing is, this has never happened with any other program I have used with the Webstation only happens with PF.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

What happens, if you close and restart ProppFrexx?
As an ProppFrexx-Update does also 'only' this. And it is strange, that it also happens when a normal Windows update takes place (at least this is what you describe)?!

An update of ProppFrexx changes 'only' the executables, but no configuration. The configuration is 'only' saved, when ProppFrexx is closed (no matter if via an update or via a regular shutdown).
And here (with my test systems) this does also not happen (ie. with a shutdown all config and mixer settings are saved and with the next start restored).

However, once you close ProppFrexx regularly!, you could make a backup of your mixer settings (file "Default.mixer") as well as the config, incl. the routing (file "ProppFrexx ONAIR.config"). Both files are located in the ProppFrexx AppDataUser folder (%appdata%\radio42\ProppFrexx ONAIR\4.0).
Note, make sure, that ProppFrexx is closed gracefully, as else the files are not properly written.

Are you somehow synchronizing or touching the above mentioned ProppFrexx AppDataUser folder yourself, e.g. via DropBox or another PC and as such maybe overwriting its content?
edlondon

Post by edlondon »

No sir! I do not touch those files in AppData, the only files I touch are the music files. I will be making a back up of everything, including all your suggestions. Thanks Bernd
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

But most important was the question, if you also lose your settings, if you close and restart ProppFrexx ?