Loading the news dynamically

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
LanderdFM
Loading the news dynamically

Post by LanderdFM »

Hi there, we've been running Proppfrexx for quite a bit now and are very happy with it.
One thing however, we couldn't figure out, but we finally know why.

Here's our problem:
The news gets played exactly at the hour, every hour, but when it plays, after a second or two, it stutters once, and at the end, it cuts the file off too late or too early.

The reason:
Our news provider only allows us to download the news 2 minutes before the hour. So that the news is most fresh.
Proppfrexx loads the news (in the overlay player), about 360 seconds in advance, therefore loading the old news file.
What we think happens is that it bases the length of the file on the old file, and therefore cuts it too long or too short, and it also caches the start of the file for a few seconds and then starts reading the original file. Which causes the stutter (going from the old file to the new file).

My question:
How can I tell the overlay player, or the advertising & news section, to wait with loading the mp3 for at most 60 seconds before start?
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Loading the news dynamically

Post by radio42 »

You can just show the overlay 90sec. ahead of its start time and not 360sec., as I don’t see any reason for starting it that early.
At the time, when you show the overlay, the tracks are loaded, and even combined with other tracks etc.
As such, your observation and assumption is totally correct.
And there is no way to perform all the calculation and loading later again for a second time.