Copy To - in mixer settings stop working

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
marvex
Copy To - in mixer settings stop working

Post by marvex »

Hi!

My two editors makes lot's of changes on scheduler program and I made on mixer input/output settings OUT3 channel to send PFL audio to remote desktop software
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 05.26.08.png
It works for a while ( as you can see in the picture) , haven't figured out what stops it or how long it works.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 05.27.17.png
When restart the PF itself ( closing program and open it again) It's working again.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Copy To - in mixer settings stop working

Post by radio42 »

The ‚Copy To‘ feature simply sends the same audio data it sends to its own mixer output device also to that other output device. So there is actually no logical chance to break or stop this.
The only thing I can think of is that your "Out3" device is somehow breaking, i.e. it stops working.
Have you tried to ‚Recreate and Reset‘ it from the mixer context menu when you right-click on its name (instead of restarting ProppFrexx completely)??
This would actually reset all the device buffers and reinitialize it.

What could theoretically happen, is that the two physical devices that you are using are running out of sync and their buffers over- or underflow over time. Especially as you don’t use the save driver model (ASIO and WASAPI) and you probably don’t use a single world clock connected to them to sync their sample rate?!
If this would be the case, they start playing in sync and drift apart over time… do you obverse this?

If not and the other device stops suddenly, I can only assume, that the device driver itself suddenly stops working correctly.
marvex

Post by marvex »

right now, all I can say is that: as shows on the picture that the OUT3 indicator works, then if it doesn't work anymore, the indicator won't move either
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

When the two devices don't drift apart over time, but on device suddenly stops working, i.e. even the level meter doesn't move anymore, this means, that no data (audio) can be pushed/send to that device anymore.
This typically indicates a device error.

When it happens again, please try the ‚Recreate and Reset‘ function as explained above.
What kind of device is it? Maybe your network connection gets lost or is temporarily broken (as it sounds like a networked device) which stops the device and it then needs to be re-initialized (i.e. maybe the driver doesn't do that transparently by itself)?!
In such case, you would need to contact support of that device driver vendor...