Internal web browser and routing

You are missing a feature or need an enhancement? Post your suggestion here!
Farbo
Internal web browser and routing

Post by Farbo »

Hi Bernd. I was wondering how can I route sound from web browser to PF and I thought if you could enable option to set routing for internal web browaser in PF to some channel. For example if I want to play something from youtube, soundcloud, etc.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin
Re: Internal web browser and routing

Post by radio42 »

Not directly, as the web-page does the audio handling for you!
However, there is one little trick you might do - when using Win7 and the WASAPI audio driver model in ProppFrexx.
All web-pages play their content on the default sound device (as defined in the windows sound control panel).
So you might define a default sound device, which is NOT used elsewhere in ProppFrexx (to avoid any overlapping audio playback)!
Let's assume this default sound device is called 'Loudspeakers'.

Furthermore Win7/WASAPI offers a so called 'loopback' device for each regular output device, which allows you to capture (record) any sound currently being played on that device.
As such you might create a related Mixer-Input-Channel within ProppFrexx - which uses exactly that default loopback device as an input signal (e.g. simply select 'Loudspeakers' from the input mixer configuration dialog)!
Now you can route this mixer input to any of your existing output-mixer-channels for playback.
As a result, you are capturing what's played on the default sound device - easy.

The same 'trick' btw also works for capturing eg. Skype calls etc.
Farbo

Post by Farbo »

I only did not understand 'loopback' device. Is it like Stereo mix device under win7? But this takes also sound from loudspeaker output which I use as a real physical device for PFL channel.
Peter
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Yes, a loopback device in Win7/WASAPI is capturing 'what you hear' on that output device - similar to the 'Stereo Mix' from WinXP times - just that now you can capture any output device.
As explained above, make sure not to play 'other' stuff on that device - else you would capture this 'other' sound as well.
If you do not have any 'free' sound device available to make it the default one - then there is no other option I can think of.