[WinAmpPlugins] Multiple Instances ?

You have a question or need an advice about how to do something? Ask it here!
sun7radio
[WinAmpPlugins] Multiple Instances ?

Post by sun7radio »

Hi,

Not sure if this is a bug per say but I'm trying to use several instances of the same WinAmp plugin (SoundSolution), one on the 'OUT' channel and another on the 'PFL' channel.

Unfortunately, as soon as I use one instance of the plugin, it disappears from the WinAmp plugins list when I try to set it on the other channel.

In SPL we can use several instances of the same WinAmp plugin on different channels so I guess there is no technical limitation ?

Or is there a specific issue with WinAmp plugins instances and PFOA ?

Cheers,
Guy.
radio42
Site Admin
Re: [WinAmpPlugins] Multiple Instances ?

Post by radio42 »

There is a technical limitation: A Winamp PlugIn can ONLY be used once!
To explain the details would go a bit far...it is basically a design issue with Winamp DSPs.

However, there is a simple solution to it. Just copy the physical .dll file multiple times to your hard disc. And rename them accordingly.
E.g. "wadsp_1.dll", "wadsp_2.dll", "wadsp_3.dll" etc.
Then they can safely be used, e.g. use the "wadsp_1.dll" with your first mixer channel; use the "wadsp_2.dll" with your second mixer channel etc.
(maybe SPL is doing that in the background for you)

But as you mention 'SoundSolution' - handle that with care, as I found that particular Wimamp DSP to be quite CPU hungry and on some system quite instable...!

Anyhow:
I really would prefer VST DSP whenever possible (e.g. you might try the JB Broadcast VST instead)!
The reason is simple: Winamp DSPs do have many other limitation, the biggest is, that they only internally support a sample rate of 44.1kHz and a resolution of 16-bit! meaning if you are using any other sample rate and a higher bitrate (and note, that PF internally ALWAYS used 32-bit float resolution) the sample data must be converted BEFORE and AFTER the Winamp DSP!
sun7radio

Post by sun7radio »

Thanks for the explanations, very helpful.

I can now use the plugin on both channels.

Me too I would prefer to use a VST plugin, unfortunately I have yet to find a VST plugin that has the level of sound quality that gives the SoundSolution plugin. No other plugin I've tried goes as far as the SoundSolution one, even the stereotool (which is the closest one I've found).

I never understood why they didn't created a VST plugin at first..

Cheers,
Guy.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

Try the mentioned 'JB Broadcast' VST - many users say it delivers an even better sound quality.
But of course all is a matter of taste and flavor and of course what source audio files are being used, when it comes to 'how you want your station to sound'....
sun7radio

Post by sun7radio »

Well, so far, even with the 'JB Broadcast' VST I've not been able to get the same (or near) sound that I have with the SoundSolution one. But I'm far from being a 'JB Broadcast' expert.

Regarding Winamp plugins, I've noticed something strange:
(I'm pretty sure you will answer me it is a Winamp plugin issue but.. who knows)

With the SoundSolution plugin on the OUT channel, as long as there is NO sound on this channel, PFOA CPU indication goes to 100% (seems to be 1 thread only as my actual CPU is near 10%).

Then whatever sound I play on the PFL channel, I can hear artefacts/noise.

Now if I play a song on the OUT channel, CPU goes down to ~09%, the sound is clean again even on the PFL channel.

So it seems as long as there is sound going through a channel with the Winamp plugin, everything is ok, but as soon there is no sound at all things are deteriorating which is kind of odd.

Perhaps this is a SoundSolution issue only, I don't know, as I only have this Winamp plugin. I've never had this issue with SPL though.

Cheers,
Guy.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

And being honest I never understood, why people like the SoundSolution DSP.
It might let people think it generates some better sound on low quality files (like some badly encoded MP3s) - but I am more a fan of using high quality input source files.
As with good quality input audio files, the SoundSolution DSP does not any good to the sound - but that is just my personal opinion.
sun7radio

Post by sun7radio »

Thanks a lot for the explanations and for pointing me to the 'NonStop' option.

Cheers,
Guy.
radio42
Site Admin

Post by radio42 »

That is indeed one of the SoundSolution limitation I spoke about!
When there is silence send to the output (and as such also through the DSP) this makes SoundSolution hook up the CPU - that issue needs to be discussed with the SoundSolution developer!

ProppFrexx produces silence even if there is nothing effectively being playing. This feature is called 'Nonstop' and can be adjusted in the mixer channel configuration.
But there are good reasons to leave that to 'Nonstop' for several reasons:
- it allows synchronizing multiple channels (when e.g. using the SND2 or Copy To function)
- when Nonstop is disabled and you are using that mixer channel also for streaming, this would also mean no data is send to the streaming server (and most streaming servers simply disconnect when there is no data being send)!

So you might try with deactivating the 'Nonstop' option - but be aware of the side-effects!

As said, the SoundSolution DSP actually doesn't like silence...spreaking in sample data sielence means constant zero's (0) being using by the output.
Don't ask me, but SoundSolution doesn't like a constant series of zero's!